Sunday 25 September 2011

90s


Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane in the New Adventures of Superman had the same issues with script readings as her predecessors did... 'Oh look, Lois get's tied up again'. With the exception of Desperate Housewives, to the best of my knowledge as I no longer own a television, it seems Ms. Hatcher was often getting the 'treatment'... Tango & Cash being another example. Now... David Lynch was the mind behind Twin Peaks as well as other oddities such as Blue Velvet and Naked Lunch and was quite an artist visually even if you never knew what the hell was going on and that is what I think Twin Peaks was all about. Sherylin Fenn had a look that was ripped out of film noir from the 50s and is note worthy as a damsel in distress/femme fatale. That brings us to Dana Scully and the X-Files.. another series that made no sense but looked great photography wise. Dana was written well as a character.. her no nonsense approach as a scientist makes me think of the song 'Short Skirt Long Jacket'. Those tailored business suits and moody lighting made sure it wouldn't be long before she got the 'treatment' which she did several times. Fun with fantasy and vampires were in the cards during the 90s with Buffy and her crew. Vampire series have hung on ever since. If memory serves and often it does not, it seems the whole crew spent time in restraints at least once or twice... Sarah was no stranger to it having being bound in soaps prior. Sit-coms had their tongues firmly in cheek when we saw Peg Bundy tied up... anything to shut her up was welcome. That show was spandex and nylon heaven but it in my opinion lowered the IQ of the western expectations for entertainment and look what we are left with now.
Movies had their share of damsel 'treatment' too. The Batman franchise of films was disappointing for me, visually it had lots of great cinematic scenes but came off flat as a product. But at least Nicole Kidman looked great even if her bindings could go up for the 'loosie' awards. Candyman is added here if only because it may be the first time to my knowledge of the use of a ballgag head harness in mainstream media. I might be wrong.
'#59 Ransom Drop' is the title of this pic. The subject is kept in simplistic bondage as I feel it does not always have to be complex to be effective.. I don't care much for the style of gag I used, however I have tried to include every style as I go along..... E.

No comments:

Post a Comment